2008 Marion Bobcats
Seven players from the Marion Bobcats' inaugural season look to return for next year's campaign.
Manager Steve Fowler has tapped seven players from last year's squad to account for nearly a third of his early 23-man roster. The roster includes 10 pitchers and 13 position players.
General Manager Gordon Guess released the roster last week.
Though opening day is still seven months away, Fowler has received commitments from as near as Mid-Continent University in Mayfield and as far as New Mexico State in Las Cruces. Many of the players are drawn from connections Fowler had with universities and colleges that helped fill the dugout in 2008.
Last season, Fowler was unable to start recruiting until January, when investors were secured for a commitment to the KIT League franchise. The earlier recruiting start for 2009 has provided a better selection of players from which to choose.
Contrary to last year when the Bobcats started with only one lefty on the mound, Fowler plans to start 2009 with four southpaws, including Chad Adcock, a late addition that struck out 59 in 38 2/3 innings as both a reliever and starter on the 2008 staff. Adcock, of Eddyville, joins Ethan Utley (2-2) of Madisonville and Bo Daves (2-1) as the only pitchers to return from the 20-28 squad. Daves is the only returning pitcher who was on the 2008 opening day roster.
In the field, scrappy second baseman Jacob Martin and outfielder Mitch McClay, two fan favorites in the Bobcats' first season, join catcher Drew Williams, of Paducah, and outfielder Dustin Kennon. Both Williams and Kennon left the Bobcats early last summer with season-ending injuries, but are in shape for a 2009 return.
Martin, the only pure left-handed bat in the line-up in 2008, led the team in runs scored (37) and home runs (2) while batting .269. He spent much of the season in the lead-off spot but was dropped a spot when his bat began to cool off. He swiped 16 bases, second only to Matt Little's 22.
Kennon hit .282 and tied for the team lead in doubles with 10. And while last year's team had little power, McClay and Martin accounted for three of the Bobcats' four home runs in 2008. Williams batted .400 in only four games before being injured.
Morehead State University in northern Kentucky will send four of its players to Marion for summer 2009, more than any other college baseball team.
The 23-man roster as released last week is:
*Returning from 2008
- Anthony Thomasett, SS, Crichton College
- Jacob Martin*, 2B, Cumberland College
- Drew Williams*, C, Morehead State University
- Mitch McClay*, OF, Upper Iowa University
- Dustin Kennon*, OF, Mid-Continent University
- Pat Murphy, OF, Bates College
- Rob Dyer, 1B, Stoney Brook College
- Fred Rossi, C, Spring Hill College
- Brett Cleveringa, 1B, Upper Iowa University
- Paul DeSanto, SS, Millersville Univerisity
- Daniel Pugh, OF, Morehead State University
- Matt Shiring, 3B, Ohio Dominican University
- Ryan Kincherlow, OF, Belmont University
- Matt Nichols, RHP, Morehead State University
- Jason Long, LHP, Millersville University
- Mike McMonagle, RHP, Millersville University
- Kyle Wuestenfeld, LHP, New Mexico State
- Bo Daves*, RHP, Cumberland College
- Chad Adcock*, Western Kentucky University
- Jared Long, LHP, Lindsey Wilson College
- Trey Smith, LHP, Morehead State University
- Ethan Utley*, RHP, Lindsey Wilson College
- Paul Chiampa, RHP, Bates College
*Returning from 2008